Translate

Saturday, November 16, 2013

New "experimental drawings", mono-prints and etchings


Since the last post about drawing I have created some more works in response to input by a variety of different tutors in the "Experimental Drawing" class. For the following series of drawings the assignment was to choose an object and draw it once as a 'unique', singular object and then, in another drawing, to explore the possibilities of repetition or multiplication of the object. I chose a small clay sculpture of a tower in the form of a pyramid. In my mind this turned into a mixture between skyscraper, tower of Babel and the leaning tower of Pisa ...








Three drawings - charcoal

In another assignment the tutor introduced the idea of the Haiku, the minimalist Japanese form of poetry, where a series of simple images from nature are juxtaposed with each other, without creating a story-line, leaving a kind of interval between them for the imagination to create the connection. The tutor had brought some autumnal branches and suggested to utilize this poetic principle for creating a series of drawings. 







Three drawings - charcoal


In my series of drawings I gradually moved from a representational, three-dimensional representation to something more abstract and two-dimensional, playing with three distinct elements: lines, tonal surfaces and concentrated, small patches. I also became interested in an additional effect which I discovered accidentally when I tore off a piece of cello-tape, and with it a layer of the paper. I then rubbed charcoal into this 'wound' which created interestingly textured patches.

______________________________________________


I am adding here a series of mono-prints which I produced in the print workshop at Oxford Brookes University. I quite enjoyed the freedom of the mono-print technique, which is like a kind of shorthand process exploiting the incalculable surprises which inevitably come with this technique.



 

























And finally, here are some small new etchings - no great message either, just playing around with the materials and techniques and enjoying myself ...









No comments:

Post a Comment